I stole this from Rachel on Facebook. Very creepy. I'd expect something like this in North Korea, Cuba, the Soviet Union etc, but NOT in America. There are just certain lines that you shouldn't cross, regardless of the party you are affiliated with.
Wait, what country am I in?
Friday, September 25, 2009
Posted by Robin at 9/25/2009 10:35:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm sorry, but why is this more creepy than us singing songs about former presidents? I seem to remember doing plays about the good George Washington and the evil Benedict Arnold. The government didn't mandate these kids to do the song, a teacher who was trying to teach her students about current events and knew kids remember things better when put to song did something without stepping back and thinking about how it appeared. And the fox network decided to blow things out of proportion as they always do.
I'm not much of an alarmist. When the government starts telling teachers to teach all their kids this song, then I'll worry.
Ask yourself: if McCain had been elected, and the teacher made a song about what he stood for, would you be as worried?
Hey Kate! The difference is that George Washington/Benedict Arnold have been dead for many many many years and those songs were most likely written long after they passed. As long as they are historically accurate, I do not necessarily take issue with HISTORY songs. I have a major issue with songs singing the praises of someone before you know what they really are/what they're standing for.
The problem is that people in general have already set Obama up as almost a Savior of sorts and it comes across as very "worshipy" and yes, I find that incredibly disturbing. They are not singing about history, they are singing about the present with no foresight into what the future may hold. I think that's dangerous territory.
I'm not necessarily an alarmist either, but I consider myself very aware of what's going on in the world, not just here in the US, but in countries around the world. If we don't show some concern with this, at this level, who is to say that in 3 years, they WON'T be forcing teachers to teach the kids these songs and more.
I also have an issue with this teacher using some of the lyrics to "Jesus Loves The Little Children" and basically replacing it with Obama. As a Christian, I just think that is crossing a really big line.
And yes, for the record, I would be absolutely just as creeped out if the teacher made a song up about McCain or Bush or anyone for that matter.
We may disagree, but I still love ya, Kate :)
Post a Comment