The Negotiator

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I've been feeling pretty down and very stuck-in-a-rut lately. I don't know why. I mean, life is pretty good right now (really, it is! Even my panic attacks are at an almost all-time low! Praise the Lord!) but I'm just feeling blah. Kinda like this (er, minus the "ded" part lol)

I feel like I need to get away and do something. I need a break from everything here to clear my head and get back on track! I just want to pack a bag for me and Josh and go have fun somewhere for awhile. Awhile meaning 7-10 days, minimum!

Obviously, I have a major itch to travel right now. Like, horrendous case of poison ivy type itch. That's bad. I really want to go overseas again. I love the States, but I want to explore more of the world. High up on my hit list right now are Greece, Italy, Ukraine (specifically Kiev!), and Israel. I've been perusing all the usual suspects : Travelocity, Kayak, CheapTickets, and Priceline. Scoping out all the options and how to get the best deal. And I've come to one conclusion.

I'm Cheap.

I admit it and I embrace it. I always shop sale racks and am not afraid to barter. Why would it be any different for travel?? Which brings me to.....

I love the Name Your Own Price feature on Priceline.com. Back when Josh and I got married, this is how we got our hotel in Houston the night before we left for Jamaica on our honeymoon. I put in a paltry amount and low and behold, it accepted it! We got to stay at a really nice hotel for pennies! Ok, so it was a Marriott... which I realize isn't the most extravagant hotel ever, but when you were lucky to get to stay at Motel 6, Econo Lodge, or a Super 8 motel (high living!) instead of a 20 year old pop-up trailer with glow-in-the dark dinosaurs on the roof, the Marriott is pretty darn magnificent!

Now, I'm not knockin' the camper by any means. I have a lot of fantastic memories in that little green Coleman with orange plastic beds! I spent many nights staring at those dinosaurs, praying the bear outside wouldn't come in and mangle me. True story. All good times. And I hope to someday have my own little pop-up trailer so that I can torture my kids by making them sleep on the furthest outside bed where the bears can get them because it's their brother or sister's turn to sleep on the inside bed. I absolutely plan on sticking my hand up the side from the outside and grabbing them, scaring them half to death. And I most certainly will hold their underwear out the door while yelling "Wooooooooweeee!!!" and shaking them around. Heck yes. If I had to go through that, you can bet my kids do too.

But I digress. That was a whole other rabbit trail. My point is Priceline and the wonderment that is Name Your Own Price.

Since I'm cheap and since I really want to go somewhere, I've been naming my own price all day, just for kicks. Unfortunately, my idea of cheap is the airlines' idea of "Absofreakinglutely Ridiculous". *sigh*. Normally I wouldn't play roulette with our hard-earned money, but I figure it's most likely not going to get accepted (glass half empty, anyone??) and if it miraculously was accepted, well... Josh loves me and would forgive me as we dined seaside in Italy. Right?

Alas, none of my bids have been accepted yet though. I don't understand why any of the airlines won't accept my bid of $250 for an overseas flight! I mean, c'mon! Work with me American! Work with me Lufthansa! Work with me Continental! C'mon William Shatner... Flex your bargainus maximus for me! I'm on a budget here!

I don't truly think I'll get anything, but it's worth a shot. I was shocked before, so maybe, just maybe I'll be shocked again! Maybe some head honcho at one of the Airlines (Hi Mr. Gerard Arpey! Remember me? I used to work for you! Give me a deal!) will see this (ha ha) and pity me and tell "them" to accept my bid, therefore giving me the trip of a lifetime! I'm not holding my breath...

In the meantime, I will go day dream about walking the streets of Jerusalem, visiting the Acropolis, seeing the Colosseum , or hanging out with my awesome cousins in Kiev...

A girl can dream, right?

3 comments:

Courtney Walsh said...

I am with you! I want to travel (Italy is high on my list too) but for me, it's not just the cheap factor but also the freaked out fears I get flying over water. Maybe watching Lost wasn't a good idea for me. lol

I serioulsy don't know if I could force myself on a plane!! I get nervous to fly two hours in the US!!

I hope you get to go somewhere soon!!

Robin said...

Oh girl, me too!! We went to Ireland 1 1/2 years ago and I was TERRIFIED to fly over the ocean. I was nervous the entire time, but managed to do it :) Praise the Lord for Xanax and a very patient husband... that's all I'll say ;)

I hope you get to go to Italy someday too!

carriehammie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! i LOVED our camper too!! so many great memories. i'm glad you want to continue the tradition.