It's done! Success!
We had our skillfully planned "holiday luncheon" at work today. Oh, how I hate politically correct corporate America. It killed me to have to write "holiday luncheon" instead of Christmas luncheon. Ah well.
It went off without a hitch. Luckily, I was able to find a restaurant that handled all the decor as well which was a major load off my back! As silly as it may seem, I was stressing about how to decorate for a "holiday luncheon". I mean, what can you use these days that will not offend someone? I was afraid I was going to have to put a Nativity next to a Menorah next to a Santa next to a kinara (google it). And all that would probably STILL offend someone. I mean, heck... I had people offended that it was Mexican food and not Italian (yes, seriously). Oh well. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who the heck my nativity offends because it's my freedom to celebrate the Christmas holiday. That said, being an admin in charge of a "holiday luncheon", I had to appease the nations. Sucks.
Anyway, it went well. Those who weren't offended by fajitas and sopapillas were stuffed to the brim. And for those who were offended, well....we ate plenty for them in their absence. I'm just praying that someone else gets the "honor" of planning the luncheon next year!
It really makes me sad that "Christmas" has become such a bad word in our society. I hate that I walk into stores and hear Christmas songs yet the cashiers are instructed to say "Happy Holidays". Drives me batty. There has been a movement for a couple years to boycott the stores that do this. I admit, several years back, I refused to shop at Kohl's and Walmart for that reason. I adamantly refused to benefit a store that would suppress my beliefs. But I've had a change of heart since then.
First of all, I realized what a nerdy kind of protest it was that I refuse to shop there for 1 month but gleefully filled up my cart there the other 11 months of the year. Just silly.
Secondly, what good does it do for me to sit at home in my Christian bubble and mope about it? It's an opportunity to go out and minister to them and proclaim the Good News of Christ's birth! They, whoever "they" is, didn't tell me I couldn't say Merry Christmas... I now embrace the opportunity to go out to these stores and wish them a MERRY CHRISTMAS! I think some Christians get so offended by the fact that stores won't say Merry Christmas, that we sometimes lose sight of what's really important. I'm sure everyone (especially the grumpy, overworked and underpaid cashiers) would much rather receive a "Merry Christmas!" back from the customer than a "I think it's crappy that y'all won't say MC to me."
I don't know about you, but I'm going to try to let Christ shine through me as much as I can while I finish up my shopping!
Now if gray-haired granny in her Hoveround steal my close shopping spot... all bets are off...
I leave you with this, courtesy of WBAP and Stubie Doak:
http://rope.wbap.com/audio/stubie-christmas.mp3
Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Posted by Robin at 12/18/2008 04:06:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment