Sixteen? Seriously??

Monday, August 11, 2008

Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Thoughts?

After watching women's gymnastics last night, I agree. I think that the Chinese are lying about some of their gymnasts ages. I know that gymnasts are typically very small and look young, but this is ridiculous. There are several that look barely older than 12! They are phenomenal gymnasts, regardless of their ages, but it's not right and it's a disrespect to the Games and the athletes who are following the rules. Unfortunately, there is no way the officials can prove anything. China produced the girls' passports which, conveniently, state they are all 16 or older. It's a communist country... it's not like it's difficult for the government to tell a 12 year old they are now 16. Just in time for the Olympics. *sigh*

And, after watching the short special on Chinese child gymnasts/acrobats last night during the games, it is entirely feesible that a 12 year old (or younger) could easily perform the acrobatics these kids are doing. It just saddens me. But then again, what else can be expected from a bunch of commies.



I'll refrain from making any Comrade Obama statements here.

0 comments: