I'm in a quandary.
At work yesterday, some folks offered me a project management job. It's not really a new job, it'd just be a task I'd do in my current job along with whatever else I end up doing here. That's all. They began the conversation by stating that if I don't want to to do it, they totally understand and that they wouldn't want me to do something that I would absolutely hate doing.
So here's the deal. I would absolutely HATE doing this job. It's basically an all guts and no glory job. Not that I care about the glory, I just hate the guts part. I wouldn't technically be doing anything on the task, just managing it and doing the busy work. So basically, when someone screwed up, it'd be my fault. Even though I didn't do it. The tasks are VERY mundane, tedious, and quite frankly, just plain boring. It would NOT be a challenge to me, it would just be a few hours or utter misery a week on top of the misery I already have.
The guys I talked to tried to make it sound all exciting like "this is how I started out and look where I am now!" Umm.. that's great dude, but I'd rather take a nail through my big toe than do what you do now. It's not that I am down on project management, I just don't want to do it in the technical field because, again, I AM NOT TECHNICAL. I don't like it, I don't want to learn it, and I never will. Honestly, I'm still just biding my time until I figure out what I want to do. Plus, I'm kinda hanging on for that free week off at Christmas. Yes, I have ulterior motives. Deal with it.
So, I am now in a quandary because I'm not sure what to do. Sure, they told me I could turn it down, no problem....but, I am worried about doing that since my current position is so unstable. I am fairly certain I'm "safe" (whatever that means anymore...) but I hate to jeapordize it by turning down work, even though I would absolutely HATE the work AND they gave me an out.
I am going to talk to my boss... er.. my new boss.. I think. Kind of.. Ok, I'm going to talk to the guy down the hall who I think is my boss about it and see what he thinks I should do, but he won't be in until Monday and I hate to keep the guys waiting until then to hear my decision.
I just hate to take on work that I know I will hate, especially when it's not forced work, even though I obviously don't have much else to do. Am I wrong? Am I shooting myself in the foot? I need some unbiased opinions here!! *sigh*
What to do, what to do
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Posted by Robin at 10/28/2008 10:37:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Just say NO!!!! Be true to yourself and if in your heart you know that it would not make for a happy Robin in an already unhappy work place then it wouldn't be worth it(in my mind). Yes they are confident in your abilities and they know how hard of a worker you are but you don't want to be walked all over and taken advantage of.
Post a Comment