When I was a little girl, I was in love with Superman. Seriously. He saved people all the time, could fly, had that totally awesome single curl of hair, and was just downright *sigh* amazing. My brother, Daniel, also liked Superman and loved to dress up like him, even down to wearing Superman underwear over his blue sweatpants. (I have pictures if anyone needs some blackmail). He even had a little pinstripe suit that he'd wear over his costume so he could rip it off like Clark Kent to reveal his superman costume.
I used to dress up in what I believed to be "demure office attire" and pretend to be Lois Lane. Superman was always saving me, er, I mean Lois from the perils of the lava river (Or, the floor below the couch I was standing on). The only difference in us and the REAL Clark and Lois was that when it was time for Clark to turn into Superman, Lois would have to help him get his suit off because he wasn't strong enough to do it himself. Oh and the fact that we were actually brother and sister and NOT two people who were secretly in love with each other. While that may fly in Kentucky or Arkansas, it doesn't here. In fact, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about it.
Luckily, years later, I got to marry Superman! No, not my brother, remember, I said that doesn't fly here.. I married a different Superman. His alter-ego name is Josh instead of Clark though. He's the best thing to ever happy to me! Just over three years of marriage and he's still sweeping me off my feet and rescuing me from dangers everyday! Though, the dangers are more like wasp nests in the backyard and cleaning the cat box instead of lava rivers, but rescuing me nonetheless! The only downside is that he can't pick me up and fly me off into the sunset.. which brings me to the point of this incredibly long, pointless, post...
I have forgotten how expensive airfare is these days!!! Most of you know I used to work at American Airlines. While there, I had to do my fair share of business travel, all of which was company paid of course, plus, anytime I wanted to fly for leisure, I only had to pay the taxes... so like $30 round trip was all I'd pay. Not to mention the fact that if there was an empty seat in first class, I could take that for no additional charge. LOVED IT. I also grew up getting stand-by tickets from my Nana anytime I wanted to fly so, needless to say, I got a little spoiled! I resigned from that position in June of 2006 and I don't believe Josh and I have flown anywhere since then so I hadn't thought about what a real airline ticket costs.
After a 3 year hiatus on air travel, we're planning several trips this year. The first one will be at the end of July. We're hopefully going up to Long Beach Island, NJ for a week. My dad's side of the family has a house up there on the island.. two block from the beach, two blocks from the bay. It's a little patch of heaven if I do say so myself! I've spent many a vacation up there, lived up there for an entire summer (where I had my FIRST job!) and it's also where Josh proposed to me...on the sand...overlooking the bay...at sunset...Go ahead, say "Awwww!!!" really loud. You know you want to! :)
Anyway, we haven't been up there since we got engaged because of finances and the ever popular "busy" excuse... so we're doing everything possible to get there this year(Thanks government stimulus check!!)
I've been researching flights and fares over the past few days and OH EM GEE (that's "gosh" for all you people who actually think I'd use the Lord's name in vain!!) it's WAY more expensive than I ever remember!! I'm starting to get creative with my flight planning. Luckily, we have several airports to choose from.. JFK, LGA, EWR, and PHL... All are approximately 2 hours from the shore so we're in good shape in we can just decide which one! Still, a minimum of $700 for two people to fly to NJ?! Holy cow!! I'm about to start mixing and matching airports to see where I can get the best deal. Maybe, just maybe, if I stand on one leg, rub my tummy and pat my head while inputting my searches, I'll get lucky and get a good deal. So many decisions, so little money. Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate!
I guess I'll have to tell Josh to keep practicing his flying!


1 comments:
I would like to see Josh in the tight blue Superman suit please!!
Post a Comment